Thursday, December 04, 2008

Hmmmm.... How am I spending my $$ this Christmas?

I've never been a fan of all the "stuff" that goes along with Christmas. You can call me Scrooge or stingy or whatever; it's just not that important to me. Don't get me wrong.... I enjoy the sights, smells and sounds that go along with the holiday season. But I often am tempted by the sights/smells/sounds to forget what we are truly celebrating. The Advent Conspiracy is helping me this year to celebrate in a new, more meaningful and enjoyable way. ("The Advent Conspiracy is an international movement restoring the scandal of Christmas by substituting compassion for consumption.")

It's not about money; it's not about what I buy/get. With the current state of the economy and with most of my family in relatively small living quarters (with plenty of stuff already), we had decided to cut way back on Christmas presents. But really, this season is NOT about presents; it is about His Presence! This season is NOT about all we get; it is about giving! Please watch this two minute video....


2 comments:

The Browne Fam said...

WOW. Well talk about truth! God is such an amazing God. I too have felt like "doing" more meaningful gifts this year. We have lots of fun presents that we're making ourselves. Lots of crafts and hand made lovely thoughts. Baking too. :) Jesus IS the REASON for this season!!!
God Bless you guys!

Our growing family said...

I will have to watch it in a minute...I'm trying to get the babe to sleep right now.
But, you should see the looks we get when we tell people that we never buy our kids xmas presents! they get SO many from relatives...why give them more? I have always felt strongly that too many gifts is a bad thing...I'm glad that it looks like many others are joining in on this!
thanks for the post...I always enjoy them!