Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Hair... can't live with it... can't live without it!

For most of my life I've struggled with my hair. I was born with curly, unruly hair; my younger sister was born with straight but full-of-body hair.

Becoming teenagers in the late sixties, we both agreed that she was the fortunate one. When everyone wanted to have long, straight hair with long, straight bangs, I was the one who had short, curly hair with bangs that seemed to shrink up to my hairline.
No product produced would make my bangs straight.

(I didn't even try with the rest of my hair.)


Not Dippity-Do.

Not pink hair tape.

Not jumbo hot rollers.

Not big pink foam rollers.

Nothing!

So, why am I telling you about this? Because I went to my sister's surprise 50th birthday party this past weekend. Her friends and family had put together a photo collage for sis and because we are only 11 1/2 months apart in age, I was in many of the earlier shots. The hair horror all came back to me as I saw photos of the two of us side-by-side. There she was looking cute with her soft, long, flowing head of hair. There I was with my short, kinky, unruly blob of hair. Yikes!

(That's my sis on the left and me on the right. The guy just to the right of my sister is now married to famous fashion designer Trina Turk!)

Then I remembered my months of chemotherapy and the totally bald head I sported throughout that process. It certainly put things in much better perspective....

"Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered...." Luke 12:7

"...for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." I Samuel 16:7

No comments: